Thursday, September 1, 2011

Thursday Night Borefest

College Football kicked off tonight (and most games are still going on as I write this) but HOLY SHIT are they boring.

I'll never understand the obsession with televising games between non-BCS schools and BCS schools in primetime spots. For example, ESPN is currently televising a game between UNLV and Wisconsin, where Wisconsin is obviously winning big. Quick check of the score shows it's 51-17 with 8 minutes left to play. UNLV is making a garbage time comeback but I saw the beginning and couldn't stand to watch any more.

Then I check the rest of the games going on tonight, all blowouts featuring FCS schools going up against BCS schools. Boring. The only appealing game (Wake Forest at Syracuse in a BCS vs BCS matchup) is being "televised" by ESPN3, which I don't really consider as a televised game. I know Wisconsin has a lot of hype and might make a run for the National Championship this year, but why not televise Wake/Cuse?

Then I look at the schedule for Saturday and see that shit like Akron @ Ohio State will be on ESPN while Directional Michigan @ Michigan will be televised by ABC over Minnesota vs. USC.

WHO. THE. FUCK. CARES.

I would MUCH rather watch Minnesota vs. USC than watch a crappy blowout win by Michigan or Ohio State. I remember the last few years too, when ABC was televising these exact same shitty games instead of stuff like Georgia at Oklahoma State (in my area, at least, which made it even worse). Yes, USC will probably blow Minnesota out, but it's a BCS team vs. a BCS team, with a "historic background" (Big Ten and PAC-XX schools meet in the Rose Bowl every year) and is much more entertaining than Michigan winning a game 63-7 against a team that never offers any competition.

No comments:

Post a Comment