Thursday, April 3, 2014

Robocop (2014)

"I wouldn't buy that for a dollar."


I saw this movie way back in February about a week after it was released, but I've been unmotivated to write about it until now, for some odd reason. It wasn't that the movie was bad, it's just that it was... okay. Which I actually texted my movie fanatic friend (and huge Robocop fan) Andy after I saw it: "RobOKcop"

I have no personal connection to the Robocop movies. I've never seen the first one (probably should get on that), nor have I seen the second one. I did watch the third back in 2010 for a roundtable discussion and it was about as bad as everyone says it is. In fact, just like I mention in the roundtable, the only thing I could really tell you about Robocop is that in elementary school I had a Robocop action figure that I brought to school for show and tell. The toy fell out of my backpack and fell maybe two feet onto those weird carpet/rug floors schools used to have, and SHATTERED. Like, the body just broke in half and the head, arms, and legs had nothing to attach to, and thus, the toy was ruined.

So I can't say I was excited about this reboot when it was announced like a lot of people were. In fact, I wasn't excited because most of these reboots/remakes of not-so-old movies have largely sucked. I expected more of the same with this one, and even read an article that I threw into the February 7 Fiesta about how the new film completely misses the point of the original. So when I went in, I basically had no expectations. That almost made the film seem much better.

All in all, it was your typical modern day action/sci-fi movie with lots of CGI thrown in. And oddly enough, one of the nastiest things I've ever seen when Robocop's armor and robotics are removed. And of course, the forced references to the original movie, such as the quote I used at the top of this review. The best part of the movie? Perhaps the makeup. It took me an embarrassingly long amount of time to realize that one of the main characters was Gary Oldman. Either I'm used to seeing him in the Christopher Nolan Batman flicks, or nobody knows what Gary Oldman actually looks like, thus he can change his appearance with the snap of a finger ala Johnny Depp.

Save this one for a Netflix binge, or the Wal-Mart $5 DVD Death Bin.

No comments:

Post a Comment